Sunday, September 21, 2014

Bookwormism Update…at last!

Dear friends and fellow bookworms (if by some miracle you’re still coming here),

I’m back! I know it’s been ages since I last updated this or any of my other blogging sites. Aside from the important offline commitments that have temporarily divorced me from my laptop, I have submitted myself to a Social Media Sabbatical. I hoped it would help me de-stress and give me more time with my loved ones—and it did. After over three months of that, I thought it’s about time I come back.

Without further ado here’s one of the recent happenings in this booknut’s life:

New home for the babies!
After saying he had read one of my Facebook posts about wanting a new little home for my books (an actual joke I shot at a friend who asked me what I wanted for my birthday), my father built me a largish hanging bookshelf in my bedroom.

bookshelf01 - Copy

And of course, you didn’t think I’d miss taking a selfie with a “shelfie” when I finally have a decent mini-library in my bedroom now, right?

shelfie

Of course not. But to give this photo an excuse for a good purpose, here’s my current read: the Pulitzer Prize-winning The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I’m 800 pages in and enjoying it! Theo Decker is a wonderfully flawed (albeit unlikable) character and I’m captivated by the way he handles the slew of ideas and memories in his head. It gives the narration a very real feel to it, almost as if the text is part of a transcript of some obsessed kid’s free-flowing thoughts.

The book’s a big doorstopper, though, and I could only plough through it slowly because I’ve got just my shuttle bus rides to work and an hour before bedtime as my reading time these days. :(

How about you guys? What are you reading?

____

(On the next Bookwormism Update, I'll talk about my recent acquisitions and my purchases at this year's Manila International Book Fair! Stay tuned!)

3 comments:

  1. I didn't get to go to the MIBF. Next year, hopefully!

    I'm currently reading The Narrative of John Smith by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and The Imperfections of James & Kate by Christopher Gutierrez and Keltie Colleen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trisha! You should go! And perhaps you can tell me you're going so we could say hi or something. :))
    Those look like interesting reads! How are they so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bus ride was too short to read and I almost collapsed every time I got home after work. I didn't get anything finished for the past couple of months. Wooooorks >_<

    And my Father built me hanging bookshelf too! Though it's just one line, I put the books horizontally and all piled that I am afraid it'd collapse..... ;A;

    ReplyDelete