Tuesday, December 31, 2013

13 books that rocked my ‘13

airiz02

Now that 2013 is tossing out its final ticks and tocks, I’m sure many bibliophiles out there are fondly looking back and picking out the books that made their year extra-special.

May I admit to a guilty conscience? Aside from being completely MIA online, I failed to give my bookscapades the size of slice they deserve on my time pie graph, as other things squeezed in and snagged spaces. (It’s that, or I’m just not good at time management at all. Could be the latter.) Be that as it may, my readings yielded a lit trove that still  includes the usual goodies: the unputdownables, the sensory overloaders, the page-by-page punchers,  the potential Nobel Peace Prize for Awesomeness winners, and the notorious ones that bring a promise of dried-out tear ducts, among others.

Well, tempus has fugited for my blabbering. Here's a baker’s dozen of my lit favorites, in no particular order:
  1. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
  2. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
  3. Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
  4. On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
  5. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
  6. Dune by Frank Herbert*
  7. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Saenz*
  8. Room by Emma Donoghue*
  9. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
  10. Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
  11. Steampunk! by various authors
  12. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
  13. How They Met & Other Stories by David Levithan
Check out my “best books” lists for the previous years:
*full reviews to follow

3 comments:

  1. So many books on your list that I still want to read, especially Aristotle and Dante and I am the Messaenger! Tell The Wolves I'm Home made my top 13 list too! I love that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Crini! Please do read those two, especially I am the Messenger! It's that book that proved to me that Markus Zusak is a very good writer, that The Book Thief isn't just a fluke. Oh, and Tell the Wolves I'm Home is amazing! Did you hear it's also being optioned as a movie? I'm really excited!

      Delete
    2. NO! I haven't heard about a movie. That's awesome!

      Delete