Thursday, April 11, 2013

Project 01: Jar of Smiles

Back in the beginning of the year, I and a couple of friends decided to keep a “Jar of Awesome.” It’s a project circulating in the info superhighway for as long as we can remember and it's been favorite of many Tumblritas. The idea is you take a container and you fill it with papers detailing the awesome things that happen to you throughout the year. On New Year’s Eve, you open the jar and reflect on all those things. Think of it as the literal ‘counting of blessings’ in your past 365 days.

Jar of Smiles1

I want to call mine a “Jar of Smiles.” What I write about aren’t just happenings that virtually carry the tag “awesome”  in my book. I also jot down fleeting fragments of happiness from  instances that manage to coax out a genuine beam from my lips. Little things matter the most in my life right now; they have to count into the tally somehow.

By the end of February, my container is already crammed to the lid. I know that if I would continuously follow my it-made-me-smile formula, I would perhaps be in a possession of half a dozen jars by the end of the year. Maybe more. A pail is really what I need, haha! Or a chest box. :)

Jar of Smiles2

Anyway, the thing about my Jar of Smiles is that the “memories” inside aren’t just recklessly crumpled or rolled or folded. Nor are my notes just plain notes. When a really special thing made my day I’d scribble it down on a strip of paper, which I will then transform into origami cranes, frogs, and planes. One example is this paper butterfly that I dedicated to Carol Rifka Brunt’s Tell the Wolves I’m Home.  Aside from the fact that a main character from the book has a habit of folding napkins into butterflies, the novel is also one of my favorite books this year (yep, that's already decided even if it's still the first quarter of 2013). I wrote bits of my book review on it before I began folding. I made two, and I keep the other one at my office cubicle. :)

Sometimes, I write in haiku; sometimes in a two-stanza poem. Sometimes I just jot down quotable quotes on the strips, or maybe doodle a little. I always make it a point that this jar contains some kind of vivid variety, not only in colored strips but also its honest and raw contents.

What do you think about this project? Do you have a “Jar of Awesome” too? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment