Sunday, March 31, 2013

“I Don’t Want to Go Back Alone”

Brazilian short
The best thing about the wild blue jungle of Tumblr is that you get to stumble upon little treasures that can lift a layer of stress off your back. I was aimlessly scrolling down my dashboard one afternoon when I spotted a link to this Brazilian short film called “Eu Não Quero Voltar Sozinho,” which loosely translates to “I Don’t Want to Go Back Alone” in English.

The small screen treat follows the story of Leonardo, a blind teenage boy whose world was turned upside down upon the arrival of a new student in his class. Simply put, it’s a short film about young love. You can watch it below (don’t forget to turn the English subtitles on!)


I guess the charm of this short film lies in the fact that it treats homosexuality with so much simplicity—no frills, no out-of-the-closet complexities, no twisting pathways before landing to the problem of romance. It’s not like the film is boxed in a gay utopia; it’s just treats how gayness should be treated. Natural.

Just a couple of minutes ago, I received news that Daniel Ribeiro, the director, is spinning off a full-blown feature from this short film in 2014! It’s now entitled “Todas as Coisas Mais Simples,” or “All the Simple Things." While I think the short film itself is already a portrait of succinct perfection, I’m not averse to seeing what Ribeiro can tell in 90 minutes. I’m even excited! :)

Check out the FB photos of the production team.

No comments:

Post a Comment