Monday, December 10, 2012

Bookwormism Update (sort of)

If RL wasn’t always pulling me away from the lappy every time a light bulb of blog idea pops into my head, my online havens wouldn’t seem as empty as they are right now. Apologies for my little case of negligence! You know the drill, magazine work and all that jazz. 

But since Gala is now slowly being wrapped in the Christmas spirit, workload pressure isn't as heavy as compared to last month's. I guess I'll be able to blog regularly soon! I’ll be posting reviews for David Levithan’s Every Day and Antonia Michaelis’ The Storyteller (+ a couple of doodles) in the coming days, so stay tuned.

In other news, I went to three different branches of Book Sale last week. I wasn’t so lucky with my initial tries, but check out the pre-loved books I got from the SM Manila branch on my last book-hunt day:


new stack

I got all these babies for just Php 315.00. Can you believe that? If I remember correctly, Gregory Maguire’s Mirror, Mirror costs around Php 600.00 when brand new, like Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and Lost. Reading Lolita in Tehran and The Secret Life of Bees are at around Php400.00 each in National Book Store, while The Hangman’s Daughter is perhaps at Php 600.00 (the whole packaging looks a tad like Penguin Deluxe editions). Even though it’s the only hardbound tome in the stack, Tender Morsels is priced the lowest. I was able to get it at only 35 bucks! Yeah, talk about luck.

In addition to that stack, I also bought David Levithan's Love is the Higher Law and Gregory Maguire's Matchless (largely discounted—originally priced at 520 but I acquired it for only a hundred bucks).


fairyland - Copy

I'm currently reading Catherynne M. Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. I'm liking it so far, but I have to admit I still haven't gotten over Michaelis' The Storyteller. It's gotta been one of my favorite books ever. In fact, I only picked up Valente's novel because it sounds like Abel's fairytale for Micha, the one with the little queen and her green ship. I want to reread it so badly, although I know I'll undergo another severe literary heartache the second time around. Which, of course, I'm more than willing to endure.

How about you guys? What are you currently reading?

PS: To those waiting for replies and emails, I may be able to get to you tonight or tomorrow morning. Sorry for the delay!

4 comments:

  1. Do you work at a paper? How is that? What do you do there? It's a dream job of mine, I guess..

    I'm reading Flipped! I've hit a bump in my reading so I'm returning to some light fun books.
    And you've gotten me so curios about The Storyteller! I have to find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I thought I replied to this already! Apologies for the delayed re-answer, if you know what I mean). I'm working for an events magazine! Being the associate editor, I still write articles, edit, proofread, copywrite, that sort of stuff. I used to want to work for a newspaper, but I realized I'm happier doing not-so-heavy writing. :D

      I just bought Flipped a couple of days ago! How was it? And ha, I already know what you think of The Storyteller. Antonia Michaelis is totally amazing! :D

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    I have read 'The Secret Life of Bees' , it was enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Hoda! I'm really looking forward to read that book. :)

      Delete