Monday, July 23, 2012

Review: Glitches (Lunar Chronicles 0.5)

Title: Glitches (Prequel to Cinder)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: Science Fiction, Fantasy, dystopian, Young Adult
My Rating: ★★★

Glitches
Goodreads synopsis:

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. In “Glitches,” a short prequel story to Cinder, we see the results of that illness play out, and the emotional toll that takes on Cinder. Something that may, or may not, be a glitch...”
_____

I read this little prequel to Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles right after reading Cinder, and I guess it does fill up some of the glimpses of back story I have seen in the book. The tale follows Cinder’s first days in the Lihn household, where she gets introduced to her stepmother and stepsisters.

I love kiddie Cinder’s perspective in this one; she was practically clueless about her identity, and she was just learning the rudiments of being a cyborg, her voice perfect for a girl who feels like an infant born in a half-metal, half-flesh shell.  I wish Garan—the man who “adopted” her after her surgery—lived even for a fraction in Cinder. What's one more deviation from the original Disney tale? However, I did like  how this story materialized some images told in passing in the first book, but the questions I had remained in the back of my mind, looming like baleful plot holes.

Over all, though, this story did not leave me unsatisfied when I finished it. It fits so well with Cinder that I think it can be included in the book as its extended prologue or something. I’ll post the review for the Lunar Chronicle’s first installment sometime this week, sorry for the delay!

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read Cinder yet nor any book in the Lunar Chronicles but they're waiting somewhere in the TBR pile.

    I love your blog title by the way.

    Oh, I also nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. See here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do read Cinder! It's entertaining albeit a tad predictable. :) And thank you soo much! :)) It's the second time I've been nominated to the Liebster blog award, I'll check that out later. :)

      Delete
  2. I totally forgot this existed! Now I have something to read while waiting for Scarlet to come out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do read it! Btw, do you know if Rapunzel will have a solo book in the Lunar Chronicles? :)

      Delete
  3. Rpunzel is Cress book 3 in the Lunar Chronicles . this entire series is so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rapunzel is Cress in book 3 so she will

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Linh! Yes, I found that out. Can't wait to read the whole series!

    ReplyDelete