Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Of Inclement Weathers & a Pool of Tears

Instead of  my phone’s alarm clock, it was the pounding rain outside that interrupted my trip to slumberland this morning. When the sun refused to at least peep from behind the angry clouds and the floods threatened to swallow every street I can take leading to Binondo, I decided not to go to work. Quite a good decision, because in less than four hours I felt like I was already in some kind of Waterworld.

The Night Circus

I spent half the day snuggled up in bed with cups of warm milk tea and Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus. I am so in love with this book right now; I actually only have less than a hundred pages to go, and only stopped when I decided  to blog something about it. No worries, I won’t go all technical here because I’m reserving my thoughts on world-building, plot, and character development for my proper review. I just want to tell you about one of my favorite “tents” from The Night Circus: the Pool of Tears.

At the entrance to the Pool of Tears, you are going to be instructed to take a black stone that you will see there. You enter, and inside you will be greeted by a shallow pool of water. You will notice the atmosphere is tinged with the briny scent of the ocean. While turning the stone in your hand…
“The stillness of the tent becomes a quiet melancholy. Memories begin to creep forward from hidden corners of your mind. Passing disappointments. Lost chances and lost causes. Heartbreaks and pain and desolate, horrible loneliness. Sorrows you thought long forgotten mingle with still-fresh wounds. 
The stone feels heavier in your hand.When you drop it in the pool to join the rest of the stones, you feel lighter. As though you have released something more than a smooth polished piece of rock.”

“I wanted you to have a place where you felt safe enough to cry if I could not be with you,” says Marco Alisdair, the “magician” who created this pool for his beloved Celia.

But even without this too-personal tidbit, I think the concept of the pool alone is beautiful and sad at the same time. The described after effect is reminiscent of the light feeling I tend to have after a long prayer, but I think it would be nice to actually have a place where you can just go and be relieved of all the negative emotions you could feel, even if just for a few moments.

Aaaaand that's it! I just have to blog that, haha! I better be out now and finish this book, I owe everyone a review. Cheers and Ciao!

Airiz

2 comments:

  1. Goooood I love this book so much. It's so overwhelming in a way, so many things and feelings. Haha. I remember I had to stop time and time again and just reflect when I read it. The tents! The characters! The colors! I can't wait to read your review of it... and for you to finish it. I loved the end of the book.
    I want to re-read it so badly, but my copy is stuck at home thousands of miles away. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO! The dizzying beauty of this book has actually rendered me incoherent at the moment, and I don't trust myself to attempt writing a proper review for it right now. This is probably one of the most beautiful books I've read in a long time! :)

      Delete