Sunday, July 1, 2012

Bookwormism in the Barrow Jane

Cheers to July! With my workload unexpectedly halved for next month’s issue, I’m more than ready to grab that tempting chance to spend more time with my books. All I could give my literary babies for the past few months are just my twenty- to thirty-minute jeepney rides to work. Maybe  I’ll manage to give them my weeknights and whole weekend this time. ;)

What I’m currently burying my nose into:
On my currently reading bar is Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus. While I haven’t gotten past the first fifteen chapters, I’ve already fallen in love with the author’s prose. For some weird reason it reminds me of Markus Zusak’s The Book Thief: it’s enigmatically beautiful, the straightness of all the phrases curling at the edges with hints of poetry. Not overly florid, not boringly plain. It’s just downright…good. Like a perfectly mixed coffee (or milk tea, since I’m not much of a coffee drinker).

Biblio-hunt update:
Remember that post where I was practically blog-drooling over the UK editions of Holly Black’s Curse Workers Trilogy? Well, I’ve gotten quite lucky! I have successfully acquired those same copies of White Cat and Black Heart. Check them out!

UK editions

All I need to do now is hunt for Red Glove. Random desire to complete these editions aside, I think it will be just wise to reacquaint myself with the first two books before I plunge into Black Heart. Hey, it’s technically a “thinking” book, it’s full of cons and magic, what do you expect? Besides I have no problem worming into the mind of Cassel Sharpe. That poor schmuck. Haha!

Oh, and I’ve also bought a couple of new books, despite knowing that I still have 55+ unreads on the shelves I’ve arranged a few weeks back (I’m a hopeless case, I know). Some of them are Feed by Mira Grant, The Maze Runner by James Dashner, and The Discomfort Zone by Jonathan Franzen. I’ll prioritize those, plus the ones I enumerated here.

What is the Barrow Jane?
Starting from June 30, 2012, the upper bunk of our double decker bed, also known as my pseudo-office/built-in library/slumberland entrance, is going to be officially called the Barrow Jane. Go ahead and think I’ve lost my bloody marbles for naming it (you will not be the first), but I like it. Barrow Jane is the name of a fictional place from Mike Carey’s Lucifer series, that big chunk of land with a house on it that floats on nothingness. That’s how my ‘bunk feels like, sometimes. Go figure. I’ll post a couple of snapshots of it next time.

Bought on a whim: Le Petit Prince!
I was looking for a copy of Anna Dressed in Blood in National Book Store when I stumbled upon a desk full of notebooks and planners made from recycled papers. Amidst the mountain of these eco-friendly products, I found this:

Le Petit Prince

Such a cute planner/mini-calendar. I’d love to put it on my desk in the office. Or perhaps I’ll just leave it here on the Barrow Jane, on that empty space next to Lennon (my teddy bear). Haha!

****

More book babblings soon!
Cheers and Ciao,
Airiz

No comments:

Post a Comment