Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Darkest Things in the Soul :)

This quote really resonates with me and my writing. I felt the need to post it here and share it with you. To all writers out there—what do you write about? :) Do we write about the same things?
I talk about the things people have always talked about in stories: pain, hate, truth, courage, destiny, friendship, responsibility, growing old, growing up, falling in love, all of these things. What I try to write about are the darkest things in the soul, the mortal dreads. I try to go into those places in me that contain the cauldrous. I want to dip up the fire, and I want to put it on paper. The closer I get to the burning core of my being, the things which are most painful to me, the better is my work.
-HARLAN ELLISON

2 comments:

  1. I do! But I still consider myself as a closet writer, and not a very good one. Though, I have to say, writing has given me a lot of joy.
    And I can't write when I'm happy. It seems like, I can only write when I was going through a lot of emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should 'come out' (if you know what I mean). You have the potential to be a cool writer, I've seen how you relay some of your experiences and opinions in your blog posts before.

      We're almost the same! When I'm happy, I just bask in the joy and try to SHOUT to the whole world I'm happy. But there's a turmoil of emotions inside me, I choose to zip my lips up, and only through writing I can release them. :')

      Delete