Monday, March 5, 2012

Bookwormism Update

Someone’s on cloud nine! Guess who? ;)

The Fault in Our Stars

I'm late to the party, but who cares? I finally got John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars! All the local bookstores I’m contacting the past month kept on telling me this book’s out of stock. But a couple of weeks ago, while hunting  for The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making in NBS Tutuban,  I chanced upon Green’s newest gem on the YA shelf. I wasn’t able to hold in the little giggle-squeal that bubbled up my throat (how little that squeal was, I’ll never know—I had my earphones on).

After reading and rereading Pamela Haag’s list of awesome words, I think someone needs to coin a term for that ineffable feeling you get when you find that special book you’ve always wanted to have. “Bookstore serendipity”, which I always use, sometimes seems a tad too broad a term to describe the feeling. I’ll still use it though.

Priority Pile

So let’s take a look at my priority pile (come on, it’s about time I make one. Toss coin sometimes doesn’t work when it comes to choosing what to read next). As you can see, I also got a new Jerry Spinelli book, Stargirl. A friend was repeatedly recommending a Spinelli novel that has a yoyo string or something like that in the title, but I can’t find that anywhere. Since Stargirl is omnipresent in bookshops, I guess I should try it first. I found it the same day I purchased The Fault in Our Stars.

Next is George R. R. Martin’s A Clash of Kings, second book in A Song of Ice and Fire epic fantasy series. I know I should have read it right after I finished book 1, but I kept on getting tempted by other novels. Season 2 of HBO’s Game of Thrones is just around the corner, so I better get started on this one. I look forward to reacquainting myself with the people of Westeros. It’s ironic how summer is coming here irl, but I’m readying to see what will happen in a fictional, decades-long winter from Martin’s enchanting realms. :p

Then we have The Girl Who Played with Fire, second book in Stieg Larsson’sMillennium trilogy. I heard Lisbeth Salander is going to be stripped open in this book like a dissected frog (umm, okay, it’s not the best of metaphors, but we’re talking about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It’s got a lot of that stuff too—and they forever scarred my mind). I love enigma in characters, but not as much as I love watching how their secrets are scooped out of their secretive shell. That…and I can’t wait for more Salander badassery! :)

Daniel Sandler’s Why We Broke Up. I know, I know, I’ve been blathering about this for weeks. I’ll start it soon.

And Steampunk!: A Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories, a collection of short fiction by some of favorite authors (Garth Nix, Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, etc). It’s the only copy in NBS Robinsons Manila. I’ve been eyeing this compendium for a while now, since I found someone on Good Reads saying it’s the best anthology she’d read since finishing Zombies vs. Unicorns. ZVU is amazing, so that’s saying something. I’m excited for some steampunk! It makes me miss Scott Westerfeld’s Leviathan series. :’)

So yeah, that's my Priority Six.There’s still a lot to be read from bookstack 1 andbookstack 2, but I promise to get back to them after I finish the above books. Toodles!

4 comments:

  1. This post is awesomeness galore. I can't wait for all of your reviews! How about the God of Small Things, though? Are you going to post a review about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really intend to write a review for TGOST, but I don't have time right now. I will, sometime soon!

      Delete
  2. Stargirl is amazing, I tell you! And congratulations on having a copy of the fault in our stars already, I still have to wait for mine. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to read Stargirl already, and it's okay so far. I intend to read TFIOS first, but it isn't as portable as Stargirl. I'll read it every time I'm home! Hope you find your own copy! :)

      Delete