Sunday, March 11, 2012

1st Honorable Mention :)

Remember the essay/review I penned that was published in The Philippine Star last August? It's chosen as one of 2011's annual winners! Just an honorable mention, but hey, it's still one of the top 8. :) Thank you, God!

DSC_0031

The announcement in today’s issue of the Star states the following:
The Philippine STAR, National Book Store and Globe Telecom announce winners of My Favorite Book contest 2011, who will be awarded on Tuesday, March 20, 11:30 a.m. at The Conservatory of Peninsula Manila.
This year’s batch range from a diplomat and Palanca winner to a university student, a Jesuit volunteer and a corporate executive— and their books run the gamut of fiction, autobiographical essays, confessionals and a love story written in prime numbers.

Yep! I wrote about the bolded one.

DSC_0028 - Copy

I don’t want to be nitpicky, but they got my name wrong (Aririz= Airiz), and they put the photo of the wrong book, too (see the online version). While I did dedicate a few sentences to Plato's The Symposium, it wasn't the novel I blathered about; it's The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano.

For the record, it wasn’t a "love story written in prime numbers" (that may be a catchy description, but it’s inaccurate). It’s a tale about soulmates, two damaged people who “can fill out each other’s incompleteness. But what prevents them from joining is that they are like “twin primes,” or prime numbers that are separated only by an even number: 11 and 13, 17 and 19, 41 and 43… close but not close enough to touch.” (x)

While I’m at it, let me shift into my bookrec-machine mode and say—READ IT! Seriously. I’m not a hopeless romantic (and I don’t like math), but darn, I didn’t realize I was swooning under the spell of Giordano’s writing until it was too late. No major character died in this story, but I consider it one of the most amazing tragedies I’ve ever read. Just talking about it makes me want to read it again.

The prizes weren’t listed, but last year I heard the honorable mentions received 10,000php (cash and GCs) and a Globe handyphone.

I was planning to join again this year, and I bought the paper to see if they changed the email address where the entries could be sent. Serendipity is officially my bestfriend! I wouldn’t have known my piece won if I didn’t buy the broadsheet. I told my father about it during breakfast, but he wasn’t surprised at all—he said he’d seen the online version when he was browsing the net a few hours before I woke up. He was about to tell me, but held back when I went outside to buy food and the paper. xD

Happy Sunday, everyone! :) I’m having one. Thank you, God. :)

12 comments:

  1. Love it! hahaha So proooud of you! Ang kulit lang ni Tito, pa surprise pa eh! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! :D I'm so happy for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! :)) You're so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations... ur amazing.. keep it up.. Godbless :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. someday u'll be receive a big surprise en an amazing yet perfect opportunity from mine.. congratulations again en again my dear... :)..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you (I admit, this has some kind of a creepy feel to it since you're anon, LOL, but thank you still). :)

      Delete
  6. WELL WHAT DO YOU KNOW! Congratufuckinglations! :D

    ReplyDelete