Monday, February 13, 2012

ZONE Magazine (The Revolt Issue)

Since I know there are a few people here that may be interested—ZONE magazine’s third issue is out now!

RevoltPauline Prieto doesn’t give a damn (Photo by Jerick Sanchez)

Also known as the “Revolt” issue, this month’s ZONE revolves around the themes of change and zeroes in on being a “mixed media” release. Basically, it combines the concepts of the first and the second issues. Featured fashion models and artists are Pauline Prieto, Kneil Melicano, Vincent Quilop, Beth Hoeckel, Ulrike Theusner, and many more! :)

I definitely enjoyed penning the articles for Miss Prieto, Mr. Melicano, and Mr. Dex Fernandez. I know that writing things about them is not necessarily like meeting them, but with our indirect conversations—my researches and questions, the power of the info superhighway that connects us, their answers—it’s like they’ve let me glimpsed a part of them to me, before even our readers had the chance to see them. I’m particularly drawn to Mr. Melicano’s answers. :) Here’s my favorite bit about our interview:
Q: "Starving artist” is an old stereotype to imply there is not much money or bright future in the field of arts. In the course of your career, have you ever experienced being a ‘starved’ artist? What advice can you give to people who want to pursue a career in the arts but are discouraged that there is not enough money the profession produces? 
A: It's absurdity! In this age of time, if you're not getting something out of your talent, you must be doing it wrong. There should be a good balance. One cannot live on dream alone or dance for peanuts.
Being a budding illustrator myself, his words of wisdom gave me some queer form of encouragement. You can find the whole interview on pages 128-129. Some of his illustrations were featured too, and they’re amazing. Remember that he’s the guy behind Red.

KM

My article for Miss Prieto, Square Peg in a Round Hole, is on page  113. She is photographed by ZONE’S Creative Director Jerick Sanchez.

PP

The Man Behind the Kaleidoscopic Paints and Collages, my write-up for/interview with Dex Fernandez, is on page 133 and 137. His art is unconventional and colorfully controversial, check them out too!

DEx

My book reviews for Alexie Sherman’s The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and Sylvia Plath’s The Bell Jar were published, too. You can find them on pages 205-207.

I would want to say I’m looking forward to working more in this magazine as the Managing Editor, but recent developments may intervene with my stint. I’ll blather about it in a separate post. :)

PS: Like our official page at Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. "It's absurdity! In this age of time, if you're not getting something out of your talent, you must be doing it wrong. There should be a good balance. One cannot live on dream alone or dance for peanuts." PREACH.

    Does this mean you're going to take commissions now? ;) You should try painting, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commissions? I'm thinking about it, especially (yes) after what Kneil said. :) I'm not really that good, but who knows? I might be able to earn some from drawings. :))

      Delete