Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why We Broke Up (Celebrity Edition)

I posted this on my tumblr a week ago. I found these on the back of my copy of Why We Broke Up, the book that I’ve been wanting to read ever since I laid my eyes on it. Now that I’m done with The God of Small Things, I think I can begin reading it now.

Anyhoo, here are some contemporary authors talking about their teenage heartbreaks. I found most of them touching and funny! There’s even one that sounds like Jace Wayland (guess who!) I wish there’s a whole compilation of these quotes. :)
__

“When my heart was broken and I was fifteen, I listened to Lou Reed’s Berlin over and over and walked around a lot in the rain, while my friends followed me looking worried and imploring me not to do anything stupid. Well, stupider than walking in the rain, anyway.”
- Neil Gaiman
__

“The boy I loved didn’t know I existed. Then again, he was obsessed with Camus, so he didn’t know if any of us existed.”
-David Levithan
__

“When Patti Fox broke up with me, I typed her name over a thousand times on my manual Olivetti until the entire page was beaten into a stiff sheet of black ink.”
-Jack Gantos
__

“The first boy I fell in love with didn’t know I loved him, but he managed to break my heart anyway.”
-Holly Black
__

“Of course I had my heart broken as a teen. I was desperately in love with myself. Then I found out that I was completely shallow. I haven’t spoken to myself since.”
-M.T. Anderson
__

“I was heartbroken when my boyfriend announced he was moving to Chicago without me. But, oh yeah, I could keep his guitar amp. Thanks.”
-Sarah Shepard
__

“My heart was broken the spring of my senior year in high school. We broke up in a park outside of town, and as I drove him home, he read me what he’d written in my yearbook. The line that really made me sob? ‘You will always be my Princess Bride.’ Sniff.”
-Carolyn Mackler
__

“We broke up because I was not a boy.”
-Lisa Brown
__

“I thought dating her was just fine. Pleasant. You know what I mean? When she said she didn’t want to go out with me anymore my friends gathered around me. They shook their heads and frowned. They patted my back. ‘To bad,’ they said and ‘you’ll be okay.’ I wasn’t sure how they wanted me to act so I tried stomping around and punching walls. I tried to feel bad. I really did. But it didn’t really make any sense to keep up the act. Then I found the meaning of relationships when you’re a teen. It’s a wonderful country music tune called: I Don’t Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling.”
-Kevin O’Malley
__

“After my first lesbian break up, my ex left a series of ‘I hate you’ parting gifts on my porch. Including a cassette tape of the Radiohead song ‘Creep.’ Looped. Back to back. Side A and B. Best. Mix tape. Ever.”
-Mariko Tamaki
__

“We broke up because I kept forgetting that I had a fake British accent.”
-Adele Griffin
__

“I got dumped on my nineteenth birthday. The next day a car hit me. The impact threw me ten feet. My jeans were shredded so badly that my college roommate hung them on our dorm room wall as a conversation piece. I spent the next week recovering in bed, listening to The Smiths and feeling sorry for myself. It took about a decade, but eventually I understood that young love is always a comedy.”
-Matthew Quick

6 comments:

  1. I just love David Levithan's and Mariko Tamaki's. It would be so fun to read more author's breakups..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! :D There's more at http://whywebrokeupproject.tumblr.com/ :)

      Delete
  2. I love David Levithan and Neil Gaiman, but MAN. No one surpasses Anderson's. #FOREVERALONE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least he's in love with himself LOL! He wouldn't mind living forever alone. :p

      Delete