Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bookwormism and Dorkology Update

Belated Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! I hope you expressed your love for all the people you care for, and hope that those who are boyfriend-less, girlfriend-less, or just don't-know-where-they're-standing didn't let their current statuses prevent them from being happy (I didn't). Sometimes I wish we don't need any hallmark holiday anymore that will remind us to wear our hearts on our sleeves or show kindness to others. Why can't every day be heart's day? ;)

Anyway, here's another update about books and the current blahs of my quite nondescript life.

Why We Broke Up

Starting with the fourteenth! You know there’s something “wrong” with your friends if they got you a novel about breakup on Valentine’s Day. But for me, of course, it’s a good kind of wrong! :p I’ve been eyeing Daniel Sandler’s Why We Broke Up for a while now. The dudettes want to see a review from me soon, but I can’t read it yet; I still have to finish Arundhati Roy’s The God of Small Things and a couple others I lined up after it (Steampunk, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and Underground). But then again, I’m a fickle little creature…I may hoist WWBU up my reading list if I feel like it. ;)

The book looks  amazing, with its pages glossy and Maira Kalman's artwork stunning. I don’t think it will be able to accompany me during my train and jeepney rides, though. It's too big and heavy…

Not that it’s super big a deal. :p

sketchbook journal

In other news, I started drawing on my sketchbook journal last night! My first entry is not particularly cheerful. When insomnia decides to visit me at night—right after I shut down the now overused laptop—this little ghost drifts from the middle of nowhere and haunts me till the wee small hours of the morning. Just sometimes, though. On good days, Mr. Pillows and Sheets will transport me straight to Dreamland once I hit them.

I don’t plan to spill everything online, but I’ll still feature at least one doodle from my journal every week. :)

Grandaunt

As for other RL stuff, when I’m not out doing "sidelines" or tutoring in front of the computer, I’m babysitting my grandniece Fiona. She’ll be four months old on the 18th and she’s already eating Cerelac! :) She grows so fast. The last time I posted about her here, she’s nothing but a tiny, pink blob of flesh that I can swaddle with both my palms. Now, I often need to sit down after ten minutes of carrying her in my arms.

I realized babysitting is no mean feat, but to be honest, I’m enjoying every minute of it. There’s something about being able to coax out a peal of giggles from an infant, you know? Sometimes, it also brings out a little inventor in me, making me pull out tunes and lullaby lyrics from god-knows-where and choreograph a small dance when I’m rocking the babe to sleep. :)

JungleHair

As for stupidities…look at that jungle of hair! I decided to have it curled after a crazy salon experiment mishap one night. Turns out I jumped from the frying fan into the fire, eh? I don’t like it. I prefer my straight hair before. I’m just waiting for the chemical to wear off—it will be the death of my poor locks if I subject them to rebonding or any kind of torture soon. Right now, I’m just bunching them up in a bun on the top of my head.

Yep. Lesson learned.

18 comments:

  1. I have seen that book, Why We Broke Up, around.. (Crazy coincidence!) The cover really caught me but I have no idea what it's about. I'm looking forward to hear what you think about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say it's exactly about what the title says. Reasons why a couple break up...but of course there's got to be something more interesting in there. I'll tell you when I'm done reading it! :)

      Delete
    2. I went to the library the other day and saw it.. And I couldn't resist it. So now I'm reading it. But I haven't come far enough to form an opinion yet!

      Delete
    3. Oh, it seems like you'll finish it before I could even start it! Do you write book reviews? Tell me if it's any good when you're done with it. ;)

      Delete
    4. I write reviews sometimes on my blog.. Not often enough lately. I usually just do it if I love a book or if it is important in any way.

      Delete
  2. Same with Johanna, I've seen that book somewhere and thought the cover art is cool. I'll be waiting for you reviews! What do you think of Roy's book, though? I wasn't able to finish that.

    I have a doodle journal too, but my art is not as good as yours. Hehe. And please post a new picture of the baby! For the record, I don't think your hair is that bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just stay tuned!
      I'm having a hard time finishing Roy's The God of Small Things. Her language is beautiful (enchanting!), but there's something about the flow of narration that tires me easily. Someone on goodreads said it gets better though, so I'm not giving up on it (when did I ever give up on a book anyway?).

      You do?? Oh post some of your doodles! And you're flattering me, my doodles are not that good. Maybe we just have different styles! Please post!

      Re the baby, sure. Next time I blog about her.
      BUT. MY HAIR. IT DEPRESSES ME. Hahaha! Well, I'll still keep it in a bun or ponytail. It gets in my face sometimes.

      Delete
  3. 1. Well, add me to the list of people who are waiting for your review! Relent to your inner fickleness and read it first, hahaha.
    2. Moleskine? I'd love to see more of your non-literature doodles.
    3. There's something about that picture that really makes me smile! And yup, I agree about the babysitting part.
    4. You should have posted your whole face so we should see if it suits you, but I don't think it's that much of a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Now that there are 3 more people waiting for it, I think I'd definitely relent. Let's see. :p
      2. Nope, just a regular sketchbook. Stay tuned, I'll post more next week!
      3. My niece (grandniece's mom) told me the same thing! Thanks. And are you babysitting too?
      4. But....NO. I won't let anyone see me with this hair. Haha. I really think it's bad. xD

      Delete
  4. Airiz!!! I want to meet Fiona!!! lemme shower her with hugs and kisses, haha! That book. I want to read it, LOL!

    loove the drawing.. dear Lord, why did you let me sleep when you showered the world the talent for drawing?! haha

    OMG. I wanna see your kulot hair. hahaha promise di kita aasarin. LOL, loove you. See you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nako kung pwede ko lang shang dalin kung san-san eh! :)
      Haha, ang shonget nung hair! Sana mastraight agad. xD See you soon!

      Delete
    2. Punta ko sainyooo! I wanna see her! promise! hahaha, :) ILY girl.

      Delete
  5. 1. Yay for loving Valentine's Day no matter what!
    2. I LOVE Maira Kalman.
    3. I say: own the big hair!

    ♥ LW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Yes! We should celebrate love every day, whether we're single or not! It's not just about lovers. ;)
      2. I'm starting to love her, too. Gadss, the artwork is breath-taking!
      3. Trying! I kinda missed my straight her. I wish my curls are like yours, they're beautiful. ;)

      BTW, I followed you on tumblr with my fandom acct there. :D
      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I swa "Why We Broke Up" at a book store recently, and I thought it was awesome... I haven't been able to buy it yet, and I'm dying with envy here. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look awesome, doesn't it? Great packaging, and there's a lot of people out there who are fangirling all over it. I got to find out soon what's with this book! ;)

      Delete
  7. Lemony Snicket's new book! I can't wait for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I haven't read any of Snicket's books, so this is going to be my first. :)

      Delete