Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Operation: Annihilate Dust Bunnies (+ a little late bookwormism update)

After having a terrible case of hives and another asthma attack, last weekend became general cleaning days specifically focused on raiding  my wee fortress of a bedroom. While there were no cobwebs veiling the furniture, dust bunnies have already started amassing, ready to bedevil us again  after their untimely demise from last month’s general cleaning.

My mother made it a point to launch feather-duster assaults at my mini-shelves and my other book storage areas (e.g. room corners, drawers, and about 1/4 of the top bunk).  I think this is because she and everyone else at home know I’ve always treated my books like my own personal weed, figuratively (getting addicted to the stories they contain) and literally (inhaling the scent of the pages) . The latter is not a good habit for an asthmatic who possess a bunch of old books, but just like an incurable drug user, I just couldn’t…quit, haha! So we’re just left with Plan B, which is to shoo the dust away as much as we can.

I helped in cleaning my babies’ mini-homes, despite their protests.

beforebooktower

Surprisingly unlike many bookworms, I always wrap my novels with plastic covers and replace them when they get too clouded with dirt/when they get creased (it’s a pet peeve). For me, the plastic wrappers are like diapers that needed to be changed. :P  I armed myself with scissors, a two-yard roll of plastic cover, scotch tape, and some clean rags. Because most of the books were newly purchased, they were not as dusty as I’ve initially imagined.

They didn’t let me touch the old books in my shelves in the living room, though, because apparently the dust bunnies decided the spaces between the novels and the shelves’ black wood would make a good headquarters. It’s not much of an achievement, but I accomplished my part of the mission with just a couple of sneezes. :)

booktower

However, I didn’t finish early. It’s because every time I pick up a book, I get an irresistible urge to leaf through its pages and read some of the parts I’ve bookmarked as my favorites. You wouldn’t want to know how long I was stuck with The Hunger Games trilogy! By the end of the day, I ended up rereading the entire Zombies vs. Unicorns anthology.

CurrentRead

On an unrelated note, I’m currently reading Jandy Nelson’s The Sky is Everywhere. I was originally choosing between Arundhati Roy’s The God of Small Things and Audrey Niffenegger’s Her Fearful Symmetry, but I happened to flick through The Sky’s pages while cleaning. I decided to postpone the others and prioritize this one. The main protagonist is a grief-stricken girl who scatters her poems all over their town. It sort of reminded me of myself back in high school, when I used to pen random snippets of made-up songs and poems that I slip between the pages of random library books.

Also, the girl’s name is Lennon. My inner music junkie likes it! I suddenly thought of naming my future daughter Lennon, haha. And if she has a brother, the boy’s name is going to be Ono (get it? Get it?! John and Yoko?). Haha! Please excuse me, I graduated with a major in Bookwormism and a minor in Dorkology. :p

Anyway, the book is good so far.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Right now the ratio's almost equal na. :) Right now, I got nothing but time in my hands! Soon mawawala ulit haha.

      Delete
  2. I envy your collection!
    I also want to read Zombies vs. Unicorns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Valerie! :)
      Zombies vs. Unicorns is awesome, please do get a copy of it!

      Delete
  3. Hurray for us who "graduated with a major in Bookwormism and a minor in Dorkology". :) Good to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow i thought i was the only one who puts plastic covers on books these days! sometimes i tell myself not to do it anymore because i feel like it makes the book feel less like a "book" (wow that sounds weird) but when i see the signs of the edges getting damaged i cover them anyways. and i feel really uncomfortable reading something whose cover seems so vulnerable to everything. =D so yeah. high five?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only ones I wrap in plastic cover are the softbound ones, though. :) I just occasionally wipe the covers of the hardbacks. Hee! High five indeed!

      Delete