Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011’s Frenzied Medley of Memories

I thought of enumerating all the highlights of 2011 separately like my 2010 year-ender, but I changed my mind the last minute: I opted to show them through a collage. I guess it’s the best presentation, because my year—especially from the very second after I tossed my graduation cap in the air—is not as orderly as the one I had in 2010. Yes, it’s been a frenzied medley of good and bad moments. :’)

My 2011 is a roller coaster ride like no other, being my first 365 days of “doing it on my own”: learning to detach the training wheels I donned for four years in college and finally being set off into the real world on my own, wobbling as I go.

Here are some of the highlights of my 2011:



Publishing our own book. Meeting new friends, outside and inside the school, online, offline, Filipino or otherwise. Graduating. Learning to play the musical instrument I’ve always longed to own. Being awarded copiously just by showing my love through writing and art. Fun times with family and friends. Being torn between wanting to have a good job and needing to leave the country. Experiencing the bittersweetness of love once again. Making difficult choices with long-term effects.Turning twenty (farewell, teenagedom!). Finally having a job other people with the same background as me will be ecstatic to have, yet seeing the need to leave it for a while (don’t judge, sweetling: it’s my choice, not yours). Making new friends in the workplace. Being a grand-aunt. Learning to stand up for myself and for the things I love, not just muttering my own comments under my breath like a chickenhearted sap. Learning more about not fashioning myself after the standards of other people just so they can tag me as ‘likable’—showing the world that I’m proud to be the real me. And most of all, dedicating everything I do to God because He never stopped being generous to me even if I think I didn’t deserve it. :’)

I wish I’d taken photos of all my other remarkable 2011 memories, but alas, the only lenses and shutters that witnessed those are the ones in my heart. ♥

I’ve reunited with some of my old friends; we looked back on our wee, innocent selves, and smiled at what we saw in front of our eyes. While we found ourselves a tad stunned that we’ve gone a long way already, we acknowledged the fact that we still have to travel miles and miles to make our dreams a reality. We may be standing on a balcony right now, but we still can’t wrap our hands around our stars. We need to tiptoe; we need to fly. And we’re going to learn how to do it this year.

I can say that 2011 is not a bad year at all. In 2012, I’ll never forget to “stay hungry” and “stay foolish” as what Steve Jobs had said; nor will I be extremely cautious that I won’t be making any mistakes, because mistakes are glorious things that can change our lives, according to my lifetime idol, Neil Gaiman. :)

Happy New Year, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Cheers for 2011! We're ready for 2012! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for all the years to come! Tara, keri ang 2012! :)

    ReplyDelete