Monday, December 26, 2011

In which I blather about more bookwormism alerts, the GW fandom fashionistas, and geek pride

Bookwormism Alert
If you’re a frequent visitor here, you must be aware that my bunk bed space is almost halved by the heaps of books “residing” with me there, and that this is due to my irrepressible book-hoarding. That’s a couple of weeks ago—you wouldn’t want to see my room right now. :p I’ve gathered a multitude of new babies, but these are the triplets that are currently receiving all my love:

DSC_1075

I’ve finished I❤ Geeks: The Official Handbook by Carrie Tucker almost a week ago and I’m already halfway through The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. Going Bovine by Libba Bray is next in the queue; my fangirlfriends can’t stop blabbering about it, and I heard it’s got Nordic mythologies in quirky situations (what’s not to like?).

The first book I got through impulse purchase; upon seeing the heart and the word “geeks,” I couldn’t control myself. I knew I have to buy it. Imagine my shock when I learned it’s actually an “understanding-your-guy” book. Haha! Fortunately, it’s not exactly similar to those run-of-the-mill self-help guides for dating and stuff—it’s like a condensed encyclopedia of geekiness and nerderies! I’ll tell more in my review. :p It’s a really fun book.

Alexie’s book about a fourteen-year-old Indian who transfers an all-white school is all kinds of awesome too. If I wasn’t too busy finishing assignments, perhaps I’ve devoured it in one sitting. I think this is going to be one of my favorite 2011 reads.


GW Fandom Fashionistas
The original air of Mobile Suit: Gundam Wing in Japan is in 1995, but up to now, the fandom’s still alive and kicking (see FYGW and all the related blogs on the sidebar for proof).

I’m so glad that this old anime series still has a legion of super-faithful fans. The site has Character-of-the-Week event celebrating the girl power in what supposed to be a bishounen show; flurries of fanarts at Pixiv still come almost on a daily basis; a RP tumblelog is also operating, now with twenty registered roleplayers; and most importantly, a novel-sequel to the 1997 movie Endless Waltz called Frozen Teardrop is still being written today, serialized in the Japanese magazine Gundam Ace. I wish they animate it, or at least turn it into a manga—that would singlehandedly revive the series for good.

Now here’s what I’m really thrilled about: the fans are also delving in the world of fashion! Not in the professional sense, just…in a fandom sense. If you know what I mean.

Case in point: the “GW Fashion Project” by Lurazeda at Deviantart:

Relena and Dorothy

That’s Relena Darlian-Peacecraft and Dorothy Catalonia, two of my favorite female characters in the series. This is a rare drawing style for a contribution to a mecha-themed anime, but it absolutely clicks with the fashion model-esque side of the art. I love Dorothy’s trench coat—I have the exact outfit, but I can’t wear it too often because of the country’s usual oven-like weather. Their shoes are chic, too! ♥

Now let’s go to the boys’ fashion…except that now it’s gender-bent! All the fangirls’ fault, of course. The original outfits—those that the characters donned often in the show—are these:

390697

Clockwise that’s Duo Maxwell, Quatre Raberba Winner, Trowa Barton, Chang Wufei, and Heero Yuy. I wouldn’t say they’re dapper (come on! Clerical clothing + jodhpurs? Tank top + cycling shorts + yellow sneakers?!) after all, they’re just a bunch of fifteen-year-olds thrown in the middle of a war. There’s a little chance they could pay so much attention to their garments. However, these are the inspirations for the following outfits courtesy of fandom fashionista:

HeeroYuy
I’m so digging those boots! And the gun necklace pendant is so Heero it makes me giddy! :p

DuoMaxwell
I just realized, the inspiration of this Duo Maxwell outfit is not the priest clothing he's wearing in the above illustration; it’s his clothes from Endless Waltz, which you can see here. Just look at that little scythe pendant (a fem-Duo would definitely approve)! And I totally adore those earrings, they look like the scribbles I do on paper when I'm bored in class. :p Pfft! Maybe if I get a little leaner, I’ll get to don something like the dress. Haha.

TrowaBarton
Let me say that I'm so happy they didn't retain the mom jeans. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the trademark Steve Jobs look (mom jeans + turtleneck) that Trowa seemed to adapt, but Trowa's sharp unibang makes him look like an emo who just took a terrible fashion faux pas. So mom-jeans transformed into skinny jeans? Thumb up forever. Haha!  Anyway, I love the shoes. I mean, who will not WANT those heels? I wish I’m “talented” enough to walk in those. *hint, hint*

QuatreWinner
Is it summer time yet? Haha, jk. Pastel colors for the win! If I wear these clothes I’ll probably look younger. Which I don’t need right now, because many people are confusing me for a fifteen-year-old. :p The feather pendant is lovely, but what's it got to do with Q-boy? All the flowery patterns are so in character in my opinion, though. :p

ChangWufei
Two outfits for Wufei! The blue one’s the fem rendition of the illustration above, while the white one is inspired by this image. Can I just say how much I love the color of that nail polish? Haha. Wouldn’t look good on me though.

Geek Pride
Comic book and graphic novel geek. Manga and anime geek. Film and television geek. Science fiction and fantasy geek. Sports geek. Videogame geek. These are the six types of geeks identified in Tucker’s hilarious but highly informative I❤ Geeks: The Official Handbook. The only conclusion I could come up with after turning the last page of the book is this: I’m a combo of the first four…and I’m proud to say it.

It is a long-standing cliché for most people to feel ashamed when being referred to as a geek or a nerd—this fact also made it to the handbook. But at present, it seems like being a geek/nerd is more than acceptable; a negative connotation is no longer attached to it. To quote Tucker:
Woody Allen, Andy Warhol, Stephen Hawking, George Lucas, Isaac Asimov, J.J. Abrams, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates…the list of nerds throughout history and in entertainment and pop culture goes on and on. Beaker and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew on The Muppet Show, Professor John I.Q. on The Simpsons, Louis and Gilbert from Revenge of the Nerds, Gary and Wyatt from Weird Science, Harry Potter, Peter Parker (aka Spiderman), and Hiro Nakamura on Heroes are all beloved, fictional nerds. And even though traditionally nerds are known and defined as socially awkward and undesirable, they always seem to get the girls in movies. Hello, McLovin?
The rise of the Internet age, I think, helped a lot to the fact that the tables are slowly turning in favor of the geeks. “The society isn’t laughing at nerds anymore,” Tucker adds. “We want to join them, we want to get their super-smart inside jokes, and we want to type “pwned!” proudly when winning an Internet debate.”

Whatever the situation may be, I’ll always flaunt my geek pride. :p  Anyway, I’ll share more about this book in the next few days in my review, it’s totally fun and edifying.

6 comments:

  1. I have heard so much love for The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. I should read it. What is it like? Is it funny or sad or both? Or neither? Haha

    YAY geek pride. I'm kind of sad to say I can only call myself the third, and maybe the fourth geek types... I can't find the time to fit more geekiness in my life! My family calls me a geek and I just take it as the compliment it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is BOTH funny and poignant. I recommend it! ;)

    Well you're still a geek combo! That's something to be proud of! :) Me too, I ALWAYS take it as a compliment when someone calls me a nerd or a geek. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god.... !!!!
    The clothes are amazing *___*
    Where can I buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed! I don't know where to buy them, but I know most of them came from Forever 21. You can ask http://fandomfashionista.tumblr.com/ if you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is <3 I am so impressed with this idea and I love that it exists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fandom fashionista bit? Me too. And the fact that this exists with the show being over 15 years old makes me giddy. The fandom's still alive and kicking at tumblr, you may want to check out the "Gundam Wing" tag there. There's a lot of fanworks that's going to be worth your squee-ing. ;)

      Delete