Monday, December 19, 2011

Bookwormism (and Holiday Nerdery) Update!

After writing my review for George R. R. Martin’s A Game of Thrones, I decided not to go straight to reading A Clash of Kings. I think I’m not quite ready for the heavy time investment the series requires (they look like multicolored bricks), and anyway I wanted to have variety in my reading routine. That’s why I picked up Sylvia Plath’s The Bell Jar.

DSC_0978

I’m almost through with it, actually. The fact that I can relate so much to Esther/Plath in the first chapters was…kind of scary, haha! But then again, I’ve always known I’m crazy. LOL.
The blurb at the back of my Faber Firsts edition goes something like this:
When Esther Greenwood wins an internship on a New York magazine in 1953, she is elated, believing she will finally realize her dream to become a writer. Instead she finds herself spiraling into depression and eventually a suicide attempt, as she grapples with difficult relationships and a society which refuses to take women’s aspirations seriously.
The Bell Jar is a semi-autobiographical novel. Often seen as a roman à clef, there are many parallels between the story and Plath’s life, i.e. her magazine scholarship in New York, her being rejected from a writing course, and her hospitalization because of clinical depression. A month after the first UK publication of The Bell Jar, Plath committed suicide.

This is what I deduced after devouring about three quarters of this novel: I know watching how someone’s sanity deplete with utter enjoyment is kind of weird, but that's what I felt. I was fascinated. But more importantly, I think Plath should have written more prose. That’s coming from someone who loves her poems.

A Merry Fandom Christmas

‘Tis the season again! A couple of nights ago, I doodled Christmas cards (sort of) and sent them to some of my fandom friends online.

DSC_0975

I’ve exchanged my address with them so next year we’ll be expecting actual cards at our doorsteps. Those drawings in the photo are for Cozzy, Omnicat, and Rob. I’m still not done with the other drawings…I think I won’t be able to send them to my friends—both in fandom and rl—before Christmas, because honestly I can barely juggle all the offline commitments I have at the moment. Maybe I’ll just forward them as advance New Year’s card or something. Omni sent me a card in return, but since she mailed it about two days ago (and it will be coming from the Netherlands) I should be expecting it by New Year.

___

And that’s what we’ll have for today, folks. I have three more drafts, but I don’t intend to spam your dash and…Morpheus is calling already. Tata for now. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you're liking The Bell Jar! It's really amazing. I related so much to it, especially at the beginning. I think it's a bit of a scary read because it seems so easy to fall into that sickness and so difficult to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm done with it! Boy, was it amazing! I'm almost sure she'll get out of the asylum after the "interview" at the end, but what happened to Plath in real life gives us the real conclusion of the book, I guess. :| I almost wished Esther a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete