Monday, November 28, 2011

Bookwormism Update!

December is almost here! Time for an update. :)
Due to my busy schedule lately, I can only pick up books when I’m riding jeepneys/trains and before I hit the sack…which explains my sudden slow pace in my reading challenge at Goodreads (the bar label says I’m still on-track though). Be that as it may, having a lot of unopened books at home didn’t deter me from acquiring new ones. :p

Book Hoarder’s Dilemma

Confession: I’m a book hoarder. Even if I have a to-read tower wobbling in the corner of the room and a stack of un-reads on my study table, I can’t control myself—I'll still buy more. The tug of bookstores is just irresistible, and it’s almost a rarity to find my bag sans a new novel and my purse still full at the end of the day.

My first solution is to leave excess money at home whenever I’m going out, so as not to further ruin my already messy budget plan. Sometimes I cut my allowance so I won't be tempted to purchase brand new books. Then all of a sudden I’ll feel the insistent magnetism of the nearest secondhand bookshops, full of titles cheap enough not take a huge chunk of the meager money I allowed myself to have for a day. I’ll hear a wicked little voice saying something like, “Look, look, book sale! What’s another twenty pesos off your pocket? Who knows, you might find that rare book you’ve been hunting for quite a while now!” Poof! I’m back to square one. Even if I don’t find that rare book, I’ll still be marching out the shop with a new novel in my hand. I just can’t help it. It’s like a sickness or an addiction or something. LOL.

Anyway, I’m really running out of closet space. My mini-shelves in the living room are all but full; I’ve crammed old books in my drawers and the others in boxes shoved under the bed. Now, I have to share bed space with a few piles.

Book Hoarder Dilemma

This photo shows the foot of my bed (I live sleep in the upper bunk). I took it when I was carrying out Operation: Prevent Books from Invading Half the Bed. Haha. I accomplished it all right, but I only felt an iota of relief. Up there’s the whole Murakami stack, a few un-reads, and books I want to renew my acquaintance with.

Some of my secondhand babies were stuffed in that pink paper bag and old knapsack. I’m pushing the two-rowed heaps  back against the wall, trying to fit them together like a bunch of multicolored tetrominoes. I have to let them rise past the footboard because if I don’t, they’ll take three layers. If that happens, I’ll have to curl up in fetal position when I sleep (that’s saying something because I’m barely five feet tall).

Buying a new shelf is out of the question. Our house is not that big; whenever we buy new furniture, we have to get rid of something else to provide space. I was quite vocal about this little dilemma, and my father promised to build an overhead shelf in the room—with an accompanying ladder—this holiday season. I think that’s the best (if not the only) option I have. :)

What I’m Currently Reading…

Game of Thrones

Yes, the first book in George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series. It’s kind of weird reading it; instead of 'chapters', what I’m always saying in my mind is “Oh-kay I just finished reading episode five.” Seriously. I liked that the HBO series is very faithful to the book, but it’s a bit disconcerting that sometimes my mind behaves as if the TV series is the source material, not the other way around. I really should have read the books first. Haha!

Anyway, I’m liking it so far, though I’m a tad disappointed that Cersei Lannister doesn’t get a lot of exposure. I was so intrigued by her character in the show, and I desperately wanted to worm inside her head. As of page 341, she’s just portrayed as a cold, cunning woman. I wish she’ll be given more focus in the next 500 pages. :D

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about hoarding. I'm moving to the USA for a year in January and I want to finish the books I have at home before I leave (at least the ones I want to read now. I still have a few books "I might read at some point in my life.."). And yet I keep buying books! It's especially hard going into second hand bookshops. Who knows when you might find that book for that price again?
    At least I have a bedside table left to fill with books. I can't believe you keep them in your bed! That's innovative! Hah

    Cersei was actually something I reacted to when I saw the TV show - she got so much time in the show. But other than that they keep very close to the books (except for the ages of the kids.. which is for the best probably.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm not alone in this feeling!
    Haha, the bed's the last resort actually. I have no other place to fill with the books, everything else is occupied. I really wish we can move to a larger house, where I can have my own nook. :D Anyway, I hope you finish all your books before you move to the USA!

    IKR! Cersei really intrigues me, but she doesn't have a lot of scenes in the book. Re the kids...gosh, I didn't know they were so young! Daenerys is just 13 when she's sold to the Khal. :O I was shocked by all the ages. And yes, I kind of approve of HBO for making them all a bit older.

    ReplyDelete