Sunday, October 16, 2011

Game of Thrones, Lisbeth Salander, and the ever-shrinking book slice in my financial pie graph

Guess what’s at the top of my to-read heap?

DSC_0556
DSC_0557

That’s right, sweetums! A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin—complete! I’m very thankful to my friend’s brother, Kuya Ryan, for giving this to me. The box set’s only one of the few things he won in a contest by HBO Asia. :)

Actually I’m planning to buy this soon, but not so soon, because at the moment I have to keep myself from emptying my purse every time I’m snagged by a new book’s magnetism. Officially I’m still a bum, but I have a part-time sideline that gives me a little money. Needless to say, it's still so small and I need to keep my piggybank fat for…other expenses. The book ‘slice’ in my financial pie graph is getting slimmer and slimmer by the minute. I think need to remedy it soon! Haha.

Anyway, I’m still stuck with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I don’t know how long it’s going to take for me to finish it, but I think the pacing is really, really slow. I mean, I love Lisbeth Salander and all, but an effective character cannot function well in a story with a plotline that slugs like an old, rickety train. Tumblr peeps keep on egging me to continue, saying that it will get better and exciting…I just wish that will happen soon. I’ve been at it for two weeks at most, and it’s getting a tad depressing because I’ve never been stuck in a book like this before. :(

Oops. Sorry for digressing! I’ll just stop ranting about it and go on reading it. Perseverance—even in reading—is a virtue! And I still have a bit of intrigue in me, I think it’s going to be enough of a fuel for me to continue. :p

I almost forgot, along with Larsson's book I'm currently reading Lauren Oliver's Before I Fall in ebook format (thanks to MJ for emailing it to me!). I have a hard copy of Delirium, Oliver's dystopia book, but it's in the lower part of my tower of to-reads. I've been searching for Before I Fall ever since I can remember because I think it's easier to get to know an author from the very first book he or she wrote, and that's what I'm planning with Oliver. So far, the book is okay. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay, reading Game of Thrones! I have the second book waiting in my to-read pile next to my bed. I finished the TV-series a few days ago and I'm so excited to continue. The books are so good as TV - so pretty. Also, the cast is freaking gorgeous.

    I've heard the first book in the Millenium trilogy isn't very good, but the following is.. I've only seen the first movie, so I wouldn't really know. But I always recommend finishing a book because the end can be glorious and make up for everything that's boring before it. It's happened to me several times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you've finished the first one! Goody, nice to hear it's as good as the TV, but then it's expected since it's the source material. :) Gorgeous cast--I have to agree with that!

    Re The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, that's what I'm slowly realizing right now but I have to admit it has some pretty amazing parts. It's slowly picking up pace and I hope it gets really awesome by the end. Lots of people are promising me it's a phenomenal read.

    ReplyDelete