Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Weekend Couch Potato (the perks of having internet and too much time on my hands)

Guess what I did the whole weekend! What? Read books? I may be an incurable bookworm but I love stories on screen, too. Not counting the time I spent for household chores and Sunday activities, I just slumped in front of my laptop and binged on a bunch of TV series.

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
Series01: White Collar

Season-3-Promo-Poster-white-collar-21826688-592-791
 I got myself reacquainted with the most charming conman-turned-FBI consultant on earth, Neal Caffrey (I’m voicing my opinion, but if you don’t believe me, do yourself a favor and watch an episode). I missed the Caffrey-Burke tandem so much I actually replayed some of the scenes where they interact the most.

I’m still catching up with the last season, and so far I’m loving what's happening. It’s still all about that dang “music box” from Season 1! No complaints here, though. I love the gradual unveiling of the mystery and all the action that accompany it.

My fangirl heart is spazzing with the amazing flashbacks-peppered storyline, but I was quite longing for my OTP (unpopular opinion time!): Neal x Alex. Come on! Alex might be one helluva of a traitorous femme fatale, but I think she and Neal has an irresistible chemistry. And I like dangerous girls. :pm That said, I’m not particularly adverse to Nealx Sarah, too. She’s also pretty badass.

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
Series 02: Game of Thrones

PHe1KvNyJ3Jyhn_1_m
 Based on George R.R. Martin’s iconic fantasy book series A Song of Ice and Fire, Game of Thrones has been one of the most successful medieval fantasy HBO series to date. Here’s the shows log line as listed by Martin himself in his livejournal account:
In a world where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime, the Westeros crown comes with a price. Betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural forces shake the four corners of the Kingdom, from the scheming south and the savage eastern lands, to the frozen north and the ancient Wall that protects the realm from the darkness beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noble men vie for power in the bloody struggle for the Iron Throne.
I absolutely love this show, and after the first episode I swore to myself I’m going to buy the books. Watching an episode is akin to watching a quality flick at the movie house. The characters are amazing, and I don’t mean they’re all the hero types; in fact there are so many—pardon my French—asshats in there. The fact that they could evoke so many emotions in me is a trophy already.

And just for the record, I usually shun damsel-in-distress figures, but I immediately fell in love with Daenerys Targaryen. She's a D.I.D during the first few episodes, but she evetually grows out of the pigeonhole. She’s the woman featured in the poster above. Judging from the tagline there—“I do not have a gentle heart”—I think she’s going to kick some butts in the future. And I can’t wait!

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
Series 03: New Girl

600full-new-girl-poster
After the heavy-themed, mind-boggling episodes from the previous series, I feel the need to take a breather. Fox’s new single-camera sitcom New Girl is the perfect show for that.

Here’s the synopsis of the show from Fox:
Jess Day is an offbeat and adorable girl in her late 20s who, after a bad breakup, moves in with three single guys. Goofy, positive, vulnerable and honest to a fault, Jess has faith in people, even when she shouldn't. Although she's dorky and awkward, she's comfortable in her own skin. More prone to friendships with women, she's not used to hanging with the boys - especially at home… (read the whole thing here)
Jess is officially my new fictional girlcrush! Gosh, she’s so adorkable, it hurts. I wasn’t that much attached to Zooey in 500 Days of Summer, but in this one? I’m not even five minutes into New Girl’s pilot episode and I love her already!

The characters are all very quirky—there’s the protective bartender who drunk-dials his ex; the athletic type who hides his shyness from girls with his macho fa├žade; and the ever-so-funny ‘douchebag’ of the group. Oh, and there’s also this gorgeous but utterly skeptical model. They make quite a remarkable bunch, and because of them I really enjoyed the first episode. I wish the next ones will not disappoint!

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
Series 04: True Blood

trueblood-poster
I feel so left out in this fandom—I’m still catching up with season 3 and I’m currently downloading season 4—but I really can’t finish all the seasons in one sitting when there’s other series waiting to be watched in my laptop. The series is amazing as usual, but too much of the same thing becomes boring every once in a while. With that said, I think I'll just insert episodes from other series between three episodes of this before continuing. Also, just for the record, no matter what happens, I’m forever shipping SookiexEric! No more, no less (I’m so sorry, Bill…).

To anyone who hasn’t got a background on this, True Blood is based on the Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Mystery novel series by Charlaine Harris. It’s set in Bon Temps, a small fictional town in the state of Louisiana, and the show mainly revolves around the co-existence of humans and vampires (and other entities disguising as humans).

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
Series 05: Dexter

dexter_season_one_cbs
Unbeknownst to most, I have this penchant for loving serial killers with hearts (or just charming law-breakers—see White Collar). Dexter Morgan is not the first type of such a criminal that I’ve come to know, but I became readily drawn to his character when I read the first chapter of Jeff Lindsay’s Darkly Dreaming Dexter while browsing in a bookstore. The result: me downloading the first season of Dexter…and getting addicted.

It’s the type of series that could make me wish there’s more than 24 hours in a day. I so badly want to finish this, but the tug of my unfinished books (and the throbbing of my aching eyes) made me want to turn off the computer for a while. My only regret is that I didn’t discover this show sooner. It already has 5 seasons! :(

The show is about Dexter Morgan, a bloodstain pattern analyst for the Miami Metro Police Department who moonlights as a serial killer. With a killing structure based on the rules of his “Harry’s Codes” (named after his  adoptive father Harry) he makes sure that he doesn’t get caught and only kills morally bad people.

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
Series 06: Modern Family

modern-family-poster
Ah, my favorite mockumentary about…well, a modern family. :p Each episode never fails to make me laugh out loud! Gloria would forever be my favorite, what with her crazy antics and that sexy, thick Columbian accent. She’s got a hilarious morbid streak too, perhaps one that can almost make Wednesday Addams cringe. XD Just kidding! But I have to say that even if I love Gloria, Claire is always the true-blue winner of the Best Mom trophy for me.

There’s no complex plot to speak of about Modern Family; it’s just a comedy show that centers on a dysfunctional family that, despite having members that are far too different from each other, can still love and respect one another.

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

And…that’s what my last weekend’s TV series lineup. I just watched the first episode of Doctor Who and I loved it, but I guess I’ll do a separate post for it in the future. I need more space to spazz about that (and I’m determined to reach the episode that Neil Gaiman wrote!). :D

8 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I'm doing these days - watching too much TV. I have just finished Doctor Who and I'm so in love with that show. Neil Gaiman's episode is one of my favorites - definitely the best with the current Doctor.

    Of these shows I've only see Modern Family (which I love! The Dunphy's are just like my family - with me being the Alex...) and True Blood. I saw that episode of New Girl as well - I love the douche bag jar.
    And I'm just about to start with Game of Thrones, although I think I might read the book before..

    TV is so good when you're too tired to read. Ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've finished Doctor Who! :D That's nice to hear--I'm not even halfway through the whole series! Now I can't wait till I get to the Gaiman episode! :)

    Ooh I often see myself as Alex, too! Sans maybe the musical talent. I can see her nerdery in me. XD My family's a bit more dysfunctional than the Dunphys though. :) As for New Girl's douchebag jar--I can't stop myself from grinning whenever Schmidt's saying something douche-y. I bet he's the only one who puts cash in the jar. :D I think you'll like Game of Thrones. :) If ever, tell me if the books are good!

    :) You betcha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey..just wanna ask where you watched/downloaded 'New Girl'. I really wanna see the first episode... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Riza...I actually just googled the torrent for New Girl. Try extratorrent.com, my friend DL'd hers there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's exciting you've started at least - where are you?

    I started A Game of Thrones (the book) a few days ago and they're really good - much better than I thought! The books are so long, though, so it'll take some time before I can see the TV-show..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't moved on yet, actually. I'm still on Season 1 (2005 revival), The Long Game episode. :( It's getting better, but I'm still miles away from the Gaiman episode lol.

    Wow, that's good to hear! I've heard about how thick the books are--they're practically doorstoppers! The TV show is incredibly addictive, so it's going to be worth your while. Happy reading! :) I might buy the books sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, the first season is a bit slow. Ahh, but when season 2 comes! It's amazing - season 2 and 4 are still my favorites.

    They are ginormous! It'd be fine if it was one book - but the entire series is that thick. They even split one of the books and published it in two parts. And I'm sure I'm going to have to keep reading the entire series, because everything is crazy right now in the book and I want to know how it ends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many seasons are there all in all? I'd like to download them all but it's going to take up lots of space. XD The downloading process is also slowing me up a bit...do you think buying them would be worth it?

    So I've heard! My former classmate's brother offered to give me the whole set after he won it from some contest in HBO Asia. I can't wait to start it now, especially that it seems to be so good as you said! :D

    ReplyDelete