Friday, September 9, 2011

Book Haul! (September-October Reads)

More books! Heaven.

We’ve claimed The Philippine Star GC prize from National Book Store weeks ago, but I gave half of it to my mother, who bought school supplies for her nieces and nephews. 2500php worth of GC won’t buy you lots of books these days (the hardbacks I’m dying to read already cost 700php+), but I managed to keep some additional money. Needless to say, I don’t have much left in my purse for the coming Manila International Book Fair, but I’ll try to save more. I’ll try.

Without further ado, these are the books I’ve piled up for September and October (some of these I have bought long ago, in bargain pyramids):

September-October Reads
  • A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. Status: Currently Reading. I’m only a couple of chapters in, and so far I’m liking it. It’s like a collection of interconnected short stories, mostly about an ex-punk rocker/ record executive and his kleptomaniac secretary. Music galore on every page! I’ve been meaning to read this ever since I got to Good Reads. This book won the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.
  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Status: To-read. Set in futuristic America, this is a dystopian novel where the masses are hedonistic and critical thinking through reading is outlawed (thanks, Wiki). The title is said to refer to the temperature at which book paper combusts.
  • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. Status: To-read. About an autistic fifteen-year-old and a murder mystery concerning his neighbor’s poodle. Everyone’s got a nerd boner for this. I got to find out why.
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Status: To-read. First in Swedish crime series called the “Millennium Trilogy,” this novel concerns the disappearance of Harriet Vanger, a scion of one of Sweden’s wealthiest families, and how her uncle continues to seek the truth. He hires a journalist to investigate, who in turn is helped by a tattooed punk prodigy.
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. Status: To-reread. An epistolary coming-of-age novel centering on an introvert kid who calls himself Charlie. I’ve read this on e-book format last year, and I was more than happy to stumble upon a copy of it on Book Sale. This one reads like a direct descendant of J.D. Salinger’s The Catcher in the Rye. I just felt like reading it again sans the terrible eye pain caused by the computer screen. :P
  • The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Status: To-read. A semi-autobiographical novel concerning a young, talented woman’s descent into mental illness while she is working as an intern for a magazine in 1950s New York City.
  • Wide Awake by David Levithan. Status: To-read. Set in futuristic America where a gay Jewish president is elected. It’s about time I read something…political by Levithan! :P
  • Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami. Status: To-read. It’s been a while since I last read something by this awesome author! Based on the reviews I’ve heard, it is apparent that Murakami’s three L’s are present in this novel—love, loss, loneliness. This time, though, it looks like there’s an additional L: lesbianism.
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Status: To-reread. What do you mean I just read this? Leave me alone, this is how I roll.
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Status: To-reread. It tells the story of unlikely friendship between two boys: Amir, son of a rich Afghan businessman, and Hassan, son of his father’s servant. More when I finally make a review for this! :P
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. Status: to-read. It’s about nine-year-old Oskar Schell and his search for the matching lock of the key that belongs to his father, who died in the World Trade Center in the morning of September 11. I wanted to read Foer’s Everything is Illuminated first, but I can’t find it. :( So yeah, this is going to be my first Foer read.
  • Luna by Julie Anne Peters. Status: To-read; lent by my friend Venus. “Yeah, I loved her. I couldn’t help it. She was my brother.” About a transsexual boy named Liam, who changes his name to Luna when the sun sets.
  • Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. Status: To-read. “On an island off the coast of Wales, there was once a home for peculiar children, and one of the children who lived there was Jacob’s grandfather. He told Jacob stories about the children-the girl who could fly, the boy who had bees living inside him, the brother and sister who could lift boulders…” Honestly, it sounds like Professor Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters from X-Men. But I’m going to give this a try because The John Green recommended it. :)
  • Delirium by Lauren Oliver. A dystopian young adult novel where love is considered a fatal disease (amor deliria nervosa). Don’t mind me, I just need something to fill my Hunger Games void. :P
  • Hanging Out with the Dream King: Conversations with Neil Gaiman and his Collaborators. Status: To-read; again lent by my friend Venus. A collection of interviews with Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Dave McKean, Tori Amos(!), Colleen Doran, and many more. A Gaiman fan must-have. :)
  • Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. Status: To-reread. Inspired by Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. The premise is that Carroll distorted the true events that happened in Wonderland, making its history nothing but a nonsensical book for kids. The real events are told in this book. (Not in the picture because my friend is currently reading it lol)
So there they are. My fragments of paradise in the first couple of –ber months! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment