Thursday, September 1, 2011

So much good, so much evil. Just add water.

Photobucket

"I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race—that rarely do I simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant….I am haunted by humans."
-Death (The Book Thief by Markus Zusak)

I just can't get enough of this book. I decided to take a two-day hiatus from my reading marathon but I don't think it would be enough (nevertheless, I picked up a new book. Will just try). I love how Zusak's Death is so perplexed by human nature.

The very dichotomy of human beings makes them flawed, beautiful, and exceptional. I bet not everyone stops to think of that, since almost everything that fill our craniums is a hodgepodge of practicalities and daydreams. To tell you the truth, I haven't given this much thought in the past either; I was just a wave rolling along with the other everyday-waves. I think it's nice to stop and ponder about these things every once in a while. Obvious epiphanies like this struck the hardest, I guess. If an anthropomorphic entity such as Zusak's Death really exists (or Gaiman's for that matter), I'd love to have a little chitchat with him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment