Wednesday, September 29, 2010

To-Reads! :)

I'm seriously having a 'withdrawal syndrome' of some sort after reading The Hunger Games trilogy. I need to find more books of the same caliber (or better), and after rummaging all good book sites across the net as well as chatting with peeps whose taste in literature I trust, here's what I got. It's not the complete list, but these are on the top of my to-reads. :)

Photobucket

The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. I don't dare go to Wiki to check on this--gosh the frustration of spoiling onself-- so here's a blurb I got from Shelfari: "This arc of Scott Westerfeld's UGLIES trilogy follows the high-tech adventures of Tally Youngblood. As an ugly, then a pretty, and finally a special, Tally works to take down a society created to function with perfect-looking people who never have a chance to think for themselves." As for the fourth book, I think it's a spin-off, because it's told from a different POV.

I heard it has the same premise as The Hunger Games, as both series are set in a post-apocalyptic society with oppressive leaders; both also have rebellious young heroines. When I ask around Tumblr about books that are quite similar to HG, this is what they're recommending me. It's sci-fi and dystopian too, which is my type of lit, and there are a lot of positive reviews about it. This is the next series I'm going to start after I finish reading the heap I have on my bed. XD

Photobucket

Scott Westerfeld again! Leviathan sounds like a very promising book. They said it's steampunk and tells an alternate history of World War 1. Shelfari blurb says:

"It is the cusp of World War I, and all the European powers are arming up. The Austro-Hungarians and Germans have their Clankers, steam-driven iron machines loaded with guns and ammunition. The British Darwinists employ fabricated animals as their weaponry. Their Leviathan is a whale airship, and the most masterful beast in the British fleet.
Aleksandar Ferdinand, prince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battle-torn Stormwalker and a loyal crew of men.
Deryn Sharp is a commoner, a girl disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.
With the Great War brewing, Alek's and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way...taking them both aboard the Leviathan on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure. One that will change both their lives forever."

Photobucket

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. I've actually started this; I've already reviewed City of Bones and I'm currently reading City of Ashes. Quite awesome, but I'm not really pulled in; the soap opera-ish plot device at the end of the first book had my eyes rolling. There are some very interesting parts though, and I'll keep reading. The characters are drool-worthy anyways. *snorts* This series also has a companion trilogy called Infernal Devices. I'm still not sure if I'm going to invest on that. I think it'll depend on what I will think of the series.

Photobucket

Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater. Yeah, it's about werewolves. Here's the blurb from the series' official site: "For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human... until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever."

It doesn't sound like something I might enjoy but then again, when I first heard what Hunger Games is all about I'm not initially interested. I think I'll try this. A lot of people have been shoving this to my face, insisting that I read it...so yeah, there's no harm in giving it a try. I just hope it will not revolve solely on the romance...but seriously that blurb....

Photobucket

The Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larsson. THIS, I wanted tho read this series before I even heard of HG. A Shelfari friend assures me that I'll like this, especially that there's a journalist character in it and it's a crime series. There's no decent blurb on Shelfari so I'll just steal the one from Wiki: "The primary characters in the series are Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist. Lisbeth is an intelligent, eccentric woman in her twenties with a photographic memory whose social skills are rather poor. Blomkvist is an investigative journalist, a celebrity in his own right, and has a history not totally dissimilar to Larsson's own."

All right, that's not a bad blurb. Yeah? It sounds intriguing.



Photobucket

Reading this because I love Looking for Alaska and I'm loving An Abundance of Katherines. John Green really is something. XD He writes the usual YA stuff, yet after reading you'll feel it's a little different from the others. I don't even know the story of this book. XD

_______________


tata for now, puter.
My eyelids are drooping. T___T

No comments:

Post a Comment